Spring Break started a little early for Bullard High School students this year, as the school dismissed students at 2 p.m. Friday, March 10 after a portion of the school’s first floor academic wing hallway was filled with water.
According to a press release sent out by Bullard ISD Communications Specialist Laura Jones, a broken water sprinkler head was to blame for the flooding incident.
“At approximately 1:30 p.m., a broken sprinkler head on the fire extinguisher system at Bullard High School malfunctioned that resulted in excessive water in a portion of the hallway,” read the release from Jones. “The student body was released at 2 p.m. as a result of this incident.”
The broken sprinkler head resulted in the school’s fire alarm sounding, at which time teachers and administrators worked to evacuate students from the building. After the alarm was silenced, students were ushered inside the Audry B. Owens Auditorium and were dismissed based on their mode of transportation.
Students were able to retrieve their belongings after the all-clear signal was given by Bullard ISD administrators, while those unable to gather their belongings at that time were allowed opportunities to do so during the mornings of Saturday, March 11 and Monday, March 13.
According to Jones, the incident presented no danger to students, emphasizing that the safety of students is the top priority for the district.
“The situation was handled in a timely and efficient manner and at no point were any students in danger,” said Jones. “Bullard ISD takes the safety and security of our students very seriously in every type of situation.”